Table of Contents
Generally Opposed to ALL Divorce & Remarriage
God did not say to Adam, “Now I made this woman to be your wife, but if your marriage doesn’t work out, you may divorce her, and we’ll try another rib!”
- Divorce & Remarriage: A Position Paper
– John Piper (www.desiringgod.org)
– A brief but excellent paper that describes in a methodical way why Piper believes that marriage is binding until the physical death of the spouse.
- On Divorce & Remarriage in the Event of Adultery
– John Piper
– Very similar in content to the the link above only focussing specifically on Mt 19.
- A Statement on Divorce & Remarriage in the Life of Bethlehem Baptist Church
– This is a good article showing how a pastor can hold a view that the church he pastors does not implement fully.
- Not Under Bondage (1 Corinthians 7:15): Does the Believer, Whose Unbelieving Spouse Has Departed, Have the Authority to Remarry?
– West Palm Beach Church of Christ. Lesson adapted from sermon given by Brent Kercheville.
- Tertullian: On Mongamy
– Not easy to read but a good example of one of the Early Church Fathers’ view on marriage.
- Anabpatist Online Book
– This is quite a thorough, readable and practical consideration of divorce and remarriage. The book argues for life long marriage, no divorce (but allows separation) and no remarriage.
– Some good stuff here
– Lots of info on this site.
– Lots of audio sermons.
– Position of the Brethren Church
- Rejoice Ministries
– An excellent support ministry for those who refuse to divorce and remarry and wish to ‘stand’ for their marriage.
– Open Letter to America’s Pastors
- A letter from a lady who realised her marriage to a divorce man was adulterous.
Generally Opposed to MOST Divorce & Remarriage
– A fairly comprehensive consideration of the subject. The format makes it hard to read sadly.
- Divorce and Remarriage sermons by Harold Chase
– There are eight MP3 sermons running for about 12 hours in total dealing comprehensively with this topic. His view is that there are only two lawful grounds for divorce and remarriage – fornication and willful abandoment by a non-believer. He also deals with the practicality of how to handle unlawful remarriages in his church and embarks on the process in his own church. I don’t think I have heard any preacher speak more directly to his audience then he has.
Generally Supportive of Divorce & Remarriage
- Book of Matthew 19, ( Matt 19 ) Bible Study on Divorce (Putting Away) and Remarriage.
– Divorce Hope wesbite.
- Divorced Christians Who Married Again Are NOT In Adultery!
– Divorce Hope wesbite.
- The Clear and Simple Truth on Divorce and Remarriage
– Robert Waters.
– The article bases its argument upon the terms ‘put away’ and ‘divorce’ having two very different meanings. The article asserts that what is forbidden is the sending away of a spouse without first providing legal divorce papers. That is, separation without the provision of a ‘bill of divorcement’ results in a person who remarries being legally married to two people, hence it is an adulterous marriage. Thus it also asserts that divorce for any reason, as long as there are legal papers attached, is a Biblical divorce.
- The Marriage Bed
- Divorce Hope Website
– A site that is dedicated to removing the guilt of those who have been divorced. It has a very liberal view of the Biblical teaching on divorce and remarriage.